
July of 2013 is just about over, but I've been going too fast to actually get much processed. I haven't broke out the camera nearly as much as I intended to. What that does mean, is I have a few regrets for not taking the time to use my DSLR or in some cases even taking it with me. I did manage to collect some pictures to share here, but most were from my camera's phone.
July 4th began a 10 day journey that took me from Washington to California and back. I think I did the trip backwards, taking only two days to get to Clear Lake, CA, stopping in Ashland, OR the first night.
Of course I made a few stops along the way, but this part of the journey had more to do with getting to Clear Lake, than enjoying the trip down.
From mountains to flat lands, I felt the different climates change and heat up. By the time I reached Red Bluff, CA, the heat of midday became too unbearable and I was forced to put the bike to rest for a few hours and hide in the shade. Living the majority of the past 22 years in the PNW has made temperatures above 90 hard to handle, and it was 110 when I got to Red Bluff. AFter a couple hours there I was able to get back on the road and reach Clear Lake in the early evening.
I stayed in Clear Lake for a few days, making short runs to Lake Berryessa, Pinole, San Fransisco, Albany, Oakland and Petaluma and taking a day to rest before the long coastal run home.
Visiting the old stomping grounds, seeing family, old friends, surrogate siblings, and a teacher I had a huge crush on (she is still quite beautiful and has that great smile I remember as a teen), was a cathartic experience. It reminded me of where I came from, and how far.
Not only did the old memories flood through various experiences during this trip, but being alone for the majority of the trip allowed me time to be a bit introspective (one of the great advantages of being on a motorcycle). I was able to take stock of certain things in and around my life.
The road north would allow me even more of that time among some of the best views through northern California and the Oregon Coast.
Sleeping in the Redwoods. The awesomeness of the Sequoias is impressive, and I had forgotten. It had been years since I had been among them, and I had forgotten how distinctive the forest around them is, from the smells to the color of the forest floor, not to mention the trees themselves.
The morning brought a great road, an alternate to HWY 101 in Humboldt County, called The Avenue of Giants. This road was perfect for Friday morning before traffic happened. I did catch a few cars going my way, but each of them allowed me to pass relatively quickly. The road itself was in better condition than I would have expected with all the giant roots in the area to push it up and rip through...
After leaving the Avenue, I found myself entirely too rushed, and I know I missed several good viewpoints I should have been recording the GP through or stopped for pictures. I will take much more time between the redwoods and Coos Bay next time I make this trip.
California's coastline was fogged in most of the way, but Oregon's coast was outstanding. Once I reached Coos Bay I found that I had some travel left to get to Sunset Bay. There is a really well cultivated campground and park there, which I have to say, was unexpected. Now I know where Oregon spends its money (I haven't found their roads to be in great shape).
Visiting the old stomping grounds, seeing family, old friends, surrogate siblings, and a teacher I had a huge crush on (she is still quite beautiful and has that great smile I remember as a teen), was a cathartic experience. It reminded me of where I came from, and how far.
Not only did the old memories flood through various experiences during this trip, but being alone for the majority of the trip allowed me time to be a bit introspective (one of the great advantages of being on a motorcycle). I was able to take stock of certain things in and around my life.The road north would allow me even more of that time among some of the best views through northern California and the Oregon Coast.
Sleeping in the Redwoods. The awesomeness of the Sequoias is impressive, and I had forgotten. It had been years since I had been among them, and I had forgotten how distinctive the forest around them is, from the smells to the color of the forest floor, not to mention the trees themselves.
I was able to get a decent amount of it on my GoPro...
Its a shame this road is so far away from here, I would likely find a way to make this a commute...
After leaving the Avenue, I found myself entirely too rushed, and I know I missed several good viewpoints I should have been recording the GP through or stopped for pictures. I will take much more time between the redwoods and Coos Bay next time I make this trip.
California's coastline was fogged in most of the way, but Oregon's coast was outstanding. Once I reached Coos Bay I found that I had some travel left to get to Sunset Bay. There is a really well cultivated campground and park there, which I have to say, was unexpected. Now I know where Oregon spends its money (I haven't found their roads to be in great shape).
The last two days was a nice ride, but mostly uneventful push to Astoria and then home through Aberdeen.
I will try to detail some of the roads, my favorites and my least, from this trip in later posts. But I've rambled on long enough for now...
This summer's been awesome, stay tuned for my Gifford-Pinchot Whitewater rafting motorcycle twisties trip.





No comments:
Post a Comment