So this year I planned a camping trip and picked dates with a couple of other riders, then we invited several others to join us. Was a good plan. One night near Carson, WA, enjoying the south and north trips through the Gifford-Pinchot FR 25/99/90. At one point we had 7 motorcyclists planning to make the journey. Of course, as seems to happen, over the past couple of years, shit happens. I was frustrated enough that I decided not to take my camera, and packed pretty light (1 bag in the car, that I could have strapped to the bike if I had to.


So three people, It was enough to make it a damn fun, and extremely challenging, trip well beyond the roads. At the last minute we added a destination "close" to Carson, White Water Rafting along the White Salmon River. Something I had never done seemed like a good idea at the time, so what the hell. The ride to GPNF took us down HWY 161 to HWY 7 where we stopped at the Elbe Church (seems to be a consistent stop for me along 7, Though some new stuff was there since my last stop, including a new restaurant and hotel fashioned into old train cars (The Hotel is called "Hobo Hotel"). From Elbe, we traveled HWY 7 and 12 to Randle, WA, where we fueled up and turned south into the road we had come to cruise. 
...Take a moment...
Okay now that you have had time to shake that image out of your noggin. The next day started out a bit frustrating for me because I did not know exactly where we were going, and a supposed 20 minute trip to WET PLANET turned out to be 40 miles away. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate being late, it puts me in a foul mood. Engaging slow traffic when I'm late with people following me forces better driving, as I do not attempt ill advised passing, but it just increases my frustration. Coupled with this frustration and increased annoyance, was the beginning of a breakdown in my mind, and until we finally got into the boats, I was probably not very pleasant to my companions.
But white water rafting (Class III/IV rapids) was fun. Very Enjoyable. Though not what I had envisioned. I had expected it to be a lot more work, and a lot rougher and faster. So I would definitely do it again, but not at the price that I paid for this trip, comparative value is important here.
The road home was very long. We had lunch/dinner in this Mexican place (Los Reyes) in Bingen, WA. and then started the 90 miles back to Randle. Hwy 14 along the Hood River is very windy, so much so that it even causes the tunnel entrances to sound like someone blowing over the lip of a beer bottle. But the Forest Roads were still good fun, even as we started to get tired and sore after a second day or mountain roads and the mornings white water adventure. We stopped to swim again in the Cispus river shortly before leaving the GPNF. This was refreshing, enormously fun and for the first time I allowed myself to relax against the river current and let it carry me down river for a bit before climbing out and taking a few pictures with my phone. I did get a few bumps and bruises and fighting the current to get where I needed to exit the river was rough, but I would absolutely do this again (after I buy some river shoes).
It was a long cold road home (I didnt expect to be on the road after dark, so did not bring my leather jacket, and the hoodie just wasn't enough, but we made it safely driving straight up HWY 7 and taking the last 15-20 miles or so on I-5 for speed. Next time I plan to do at least three days in the GPNF, so that swimming and short hikes can take place interspersed with the awesome roads.
If you decide to take FR 25, be aware that it is closed usually from late October through late June, depending on snow fall. While it is a well kept road for Forest roads,and it is entirely paved, there are a few spots, mostly on the northern slope, where roots have made there presence known and created bumps, divots and the like, but most of the curves sweep comfortably enough that it makes up for what could be a difficult road. I highly recommend this 42 miles of wonderful twisties for riders at all levels. (42 miles is HWY 25 only, it is closer to 80 miles to get from North to South borders of GPNF).



No comments:
Post a Comment